Monday dinner at moonraker
Returned to Moonraker at Rockaway Beach in Pacifica after 6 months, still great view, still have their happy hour specials.
- Happy hour oysters special
- Fritto Misto
- Ahi Tuna Tartare Spoons
- Local Petrale Sole
- Seared rare ahi tuna
- Bite size bread pudding
Food was good, and the view is wonder especially if you get the seat right by the window for dinner.
Watched the sunset and enjoyed a rare Monday night out.
105 Rockaway Beach Avenue
Pacifica, CA 94044
Group dinner at Hong Kong Flower Lounge Restaurant in Millbrae
Met up with a group of friends near the SFO airport and decided that Millbrae would be a great stop for dinner. The restaurant located right on the Millbrae exit off Highway 101 and it is Hong Kong Flower Lounge, part of the Mayflower restaurant group. Depends on who your ask it is referred to as HK Flower Lounge or Mayflower restaurant.
One of the great things about Chinese seafood restaurants is the set menus (usually the last page of the menu or on the table) for six or eight people with various price points. This gives you a good variety of food at a discount than ordering the components individually. Usually it has soup, appetizer, seafood, meat, rice or noodles, vegetables plus dessert. Prices vary depending on whether expensive seafood (like lobster, sea cucumber, geoduck etc) is on the menu.
We ordered from one of these set menu for six, due to all the conversation I didn’t take pictures of every course and I didn’t write down the entire menu.
- Fresh scallops with ginger and scallions (no pic)
- Fried salt and pepper quail
- Stir fried lobster noodles with ginger and green onion
- Spinach with young bamboo and ginkgo nuts
- Desserts: Coconut jelly coated with shredded coconuts, mango pudding, almond cookies and grass jelly
Meal was great, the food pacing was a bit fast, everyone was well fed in the end and not rushed.
The restaurant offers limited underground parking and valet parking across the street. If you are driving I suggest valet parking since street parking is very limited.
Reservations definitely recommended as lines can be long.
Hong Kong Flower Lounge
51 Millbrae Ave., Millbrae, CA 94030
Return to Nick’s Seafood at Rockaway Beach for Sunday brunch
Been a few months since I visited Nick’s and I was in the mood for a bit of ocean view Sunday brunch. (See prev. blog here)
- Crab sandwich - Ordered open faced with avocado, perfect amount of crab and bread with the right fixings. With the french fries, you don’t need the extra bread from my point of view.
- Vegetable and sausage omelette - Nice and fluffy eggs with well made fillings.
Ocean view on a sunny morning and short distance drive from San Francisco. Priceless.
Nick’s Seafood Restaurant
100 Rockaway Beach, Pacfica California
Vault 164 San Mateo - American cuisine in a historical building
Valut 164 is located in a converted bank in San Mateo and you can see parts of the bank including the bank vault door in the decoration. You can learn more about the background of the bank branch and how they preserved components on their web site here.
- Brussels Sprouts chips - A popular dish at the restaurant, nicely seasoned and goes well with drinks
- Manila clams with bacon and fennel (No Pic)
- Jumbo seared scallops on butternut squash risotto. Very generous portion of nicely grilled scallops with a rich butter sauce on risotto
- V164 BBQ bruger with sauteed chile peppers and onions, BBQ sauce and white cheddar.
- Curious George: A version of banana split with carmelized banana, puff pastry and icecream with caramel sauce
Portions are generous, prices are reasonable. Very large function space for parties and group dinners.
164 S B St
San Mateo, CA 94401
Trou Normand offering breakfast and lunch
Trou Normand which I just visited (Blog Here) will be offering breakfast and lunch starting April 7th.
Stopped by earlier this week and they started offering coffee service. Cool interior design since the panel wall that you face when you walk in is actually a rolling panel wall exposing the coffee service in the mornings.
Look forward to trying the daytime food next week
140 New Montgomery
San Francisco, CA 94105